When it comes to hair, a lot of attention goes to the makeover; major color changes or extreme chops that seem to instantly transform an individual. While these hair services are admittedly exciting, there are other hair transformations that simply cannot be done quickly. The most common of these is growing hair longer.
People grow their hair longer for many reasons: perhaps they’ve grown tired of their short hair, are regretting a decision to get bangs, or are preparing for a bridal updo. Whatever the case, the growth process is not nearly as easy as it seems! Without proper knowledge and diligent upkeep, awkward shapes and scraggly ends are inevitable. Here is what you need to know to optimize your hair growth:
- Learn to braid. Braids are a great way to look styled while keeping hair protected from outside elements, and without facing the damage of heat styling or friction-causing ponytails, two major causes of split-ends that inhibit hair growth.
- Sleep on dry hair. Hair is at its most fragile when wet, and the friction from sleeping on it while it is so vulnerable will cause unnecessary damage. To make the most of your nighttime hair regimen, braid your hair before bedtime, and sleep on a silk pillowcase to minimize wear and tear.
- Be a regular at your salon. This is absolutely true for any stage of growth. If you are growing out bangs, you will need regular trims – not to shorten them, but to shape and texturize them, so that they lay attractively. If you are growing out a short haircut, you will need to have it regularly shaped to avoid certain parts getting too heavy, or ending up with an unintentional mullet. If you already have hair below the shoulder, getting regular No-Cuts (a Canary Salon signature service) will eliminate split ends without losing length. On that note:
- DO NOT TRY AT HOME!! Even if these services seem relatively simple, they actually require a detailed knowledge of hair to execute effectively. Also, hairstylists use extremely sharp blades that make clean cuts in the hair. Using anything available to those without a professional license will fray the hair and inhibit growth.
- Let your hair products help! Using a gentle, sulfate free shampoo and conditioner like the Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo and Keratin Cream Rinse will keep hair clean, hydrated and healthy. Another great product is Olaplex, a revolutionary disulfide-bond multiplier that repairs hair on a chemical level. For more information about Olaplex, or more personalized product recommendations, text us for a free consultation today!